Monday, January 30, 2012

Wood Turning















This RV park is unique in that it has a woodworking shop. There are people who supervise the use of the shop and others who teach you how to make a wood bowl on a lathe. I had never done that and in the past had thought it would be interesting to try my hand at a wood turned bowl. What better chance when the tools are available as well as the experts who can show me what to do. The bowl I made has 3 layers and each layer has 8 segments. It was a rather long process as each part had to be cut, sanded, glued, then wait for the glue to dry before the next part could proceed. The woods I selected were walnut on the top and bottom, with maple in the middle. I thought I would like to try to wood burn a design on the lighter maple. It may have been a total disaster, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I just finished it today and I must say I am pleased with the results. The wood burning had never been tried on any of the bowls made in the shop and several people expressed an interest in doing the same on their bowls. Now Dan is looking in catalogs for a lathe!! I am not sure I am ready to launch out on my own without an expert to ask, but we'll see where it goes. In the mean time I had a great time doing it.

2 comments:

  1. That is a WONDERFUL piece of art! Great job, Amy!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on your bowl. I love the burned in design.

    ReplyDelete